Thursday, January 28, 2010

"World's Largest" Counts for Something

In model Airplanes, I mean to say.
In my previous post, I described the awesomeness of one my all-time fave YouTube videos - the infamous "We've Got That B-Roll!" clip. But I was dismayed when, in the same night, I discovered that while my dearly beloved favorite video production-themed clip had a mere 350,000 views - this other clip I practically stumbled upon had well over 5 million views...



I have to say, I think this plane is really cool. But come on! For most of the video, it's just sitting on the ground, taxiing around, etc.
Yet, just now, when I searched for this clip to capture the embed tag, the most recent viewer comment was from only an hour ago and there were several more within the past hours.
This video has had a steady stream of visitors around the clock for more than 2 years!
A few things are noteworthy, here. First of all, the B-Roll video is only a few months old, whereas this video was posted a little more than 2 years ago. So perhaps the B-Roll video will grow exponentially.
But the obvious question on my mind was who sits and watches something like this? I posted on my facebook for an RC enthusiast to get in touch with me and one did. Here is our pseudo-interview.

Here's what I learned:

JOE: How often do you go on YouTube?
EZRA: PRobably a couple times a week.
JOE: When you go on YouTube, how often would you say you search for content related to RC Airplanes?
EZRA: Just about every time I go onto YouTube, I find myself watching some videos of RC airplanes.
JOE: How often would you say you look up content unrelated to RC Airplanes?
EZRA: Only once in a great while I will find myself watching something other than an RC airplane-related topic.
JOE: If you were to guess, how many people would you say videotape their planes in action at events?
EZRA: 1 out of 10.
JOE: How often do you get sent a video of RC airplanes?
EZRA: It happens several times a month. Usually I get them from the leader of one of the clubs I belong to.

1 comment:

  1. UPDATE: This video is now on the verge of 10 million views.

    ReplyDelete